Friday, May 21, 2010

What, Me Worry?

I've always been a very anxious person, like to have a clear understanding of things. That "everything is black or white" mentality. I've struggled with impatience most of my life, not willing to just let things be as they will be. In high school, I was a freshman who wanted to be a senior. After high school, I wanted to have a high paying sucessful career, right off the bat. As an adult, I still find myself struggling with the "gray area" of life, and the "not knowing".

However, yesterday I had an epiphany. If you are constantly worried about what the future holds, then your less likely to enjoy the moment of the present time. Here is an interesting quote that I have posted on my desk at work:

"One day at a time--this is not enough. Do not look back and grieve over the past for it is gone; and do not be troubled about the future, for it has not yet come. Live in the present, and make it so beautiful, its worth remembering."

I've done really good with letting go of the past, but it really makes you think about the present and the fact that at any given point in time, we could leave this Earth, and join our father in heaven. So why not make your present moments, so beautiful that when you think about the past, you think about these wonderful moments. And that you don't worry about what the future brings. Recently, I began reading the book of Isaiah in preparation for a women's bible study I am joining for the summer. A passage that struck out at me:

"Don't be like this people, always afraid somebody is plotting against them. Don't fear what they fear. Don't take on their worries. If you are going to worry, worry about the Holy. Fear God." Isaiah 8:12-13

Today, as I type this blog, I am putting all of my fear, worry, anxiety in God. I have faith that what is to be, will be and what is not to be, will not be. I will focus on enjoying my spritual journey, my marriage, learning my new hobby, and enjoying my children, who one day, will inevitably be on their own and not with me anymore. Its a valuable lesson we can all learn from our daily lives.

2 comments: